One Of Those Days

Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 
I felt that the over night conditions were primed for a fall of migrants so I popped up first thing. The place was almost devoid of any bird life apart from a few European Herring Gull and Eurasian Magpie. As I have mentioned before on this blog, I have a real love / hate relationship with Orcombe. There can be weeks where I see nothing but it can also deliver the goods. Today was a day of nothing, so I headed to work with my tail between my legs.

Aylesbeare Common, Devon 
After work I took a look around the common. I was hoping for Dartford Warbler. I had walked for 20 minutes down the left hand side of the reserve and in that time I hadn’t seen a bird. At this point I thought to myself “Spence, this is one of those days!” I continued towards the bottom of the reserve (where there are a number of pools) and had only seen 2 Carrion Crow and heard a singing Common Chiffchaff. Once I arrived at the pools things did improve slightly with a Male Eurasian Bullfinch, a Common Chiffchaff, 2 Eurasian Blue Tit and a Common Chaffinch.

On another note. My 9 year old daughter Brooke went on an orginised wildlife walk at Dawlish Warren today and was chuffed to see her first Osprey and Sand Lizard. It’s nice to see her really getting into her birds and wildlife. Her life list is now 62! Not bad considering she only started listing this year. Perhaps she’ll beat her Daddy one day?

I’m off to Portland area tomorrow so hopefully I will have a better day.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.