Another Interesting Gull

Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 
I had a look around this afternoon, as the winds seemed ok for a sea watching session. I aimed for the coastal path and after a while I realised there was nothing doing. Next I thought I would check the dung field. There were a lot of European Herring Gull a Meadow Pipit and a Eurasian Rock Pipit. With not much else there I decided to walk down Gore Lane in the hope of something sheltering in the hedges.

As I got to the gate next to the lane that leads to the camp I noted quite a few more Gulls in that field. I scanned through with my binoculars and picked out a very unusual Gull. It looked like a smaller European Herring Gull and had a red bill. At this point I was torn between setting my scope up for a picture or keep looking. I (in hindsight) regrettably opted for the latter. I was trying to assess the leg colour but that was hampered by the length of the grass. However what I did glimpse, seemed to be a dark colouration. The Gull looked slender in build and I did clock that the primaries seemed to have white tips. At this point I thought “I need to get a photo of this” so I slowly started to get my scope off my back and set it up. With that the bird (and the whole group) took flight.

I managed to track the bird as it flew off towards Foxholes. I stayed a while in the hope it would return (as many other birds did) but it didn’t. I had a quick look in the field that approaches the camp and in the dung field (in case it had doubled back) but no joy. I also took a drive around Foxholes (just in case) but again, no joy.

Now if I look at any text, this bird should be an Audouin’s Gull. A big call I know! So at present, I’m not calling it as I don’t have enough proof. Needless to say, I will be checking Orcombe out again first thing!

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.