Re-assessing The Manxies

Otterton Coastal Path, Devon
I was looking through some of my recent and awful photos and on looking at one of the group of Manx Shearwater from the 29th March, one of the birds to me looks very dark and indeed bigger. So could this be a Sooty Shearwater?

Obviously Sooty Shearwater are normally seen during the autumn passage but there have been rare records in the spring. Here is a heavily cropped version of my original blog photo (bird on the right). The bird on the left is bang on Manx Shearwater but as I’ve said the other bird looks all black and larger. I also recall from the time that this bird seemed to have a stronger flight pattern. It could simply be a trick of the light but my gut feeling says otherwise.

Putative Sooty Shearwater 

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.