Cetti’s Warbler

Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon 
After a rough day at work I had a walk along the Otter. I started at the white bridge and headed north.
On arrival I was treated to a Common Kestrel sat on the wires. It’s not that often I really get to appreciate this species as I normally see them in flight or hovering. So I enjoyed watching it for a while. Then I heard the unmistakable call of the Cetti’s Warbler. No matter how many times I hear it, the call still amazes me. It’s so powerful and loud for such a small bird. I have often jumped out of my skin when one calls right beside me.

The Cetti’s Warbler showed beautifully in the reeds by the bridge but in typical Warbler fashion it nipped into the undergrowth as soon as I was about to get a picture. Needless to say it never called or showed again.

I headed off up the path. Secretly hoping for a Common Whitethroat to start singing from the bushes. This is bizarre but I have yet to see a Common Kingfisher or Water Rail this year. So I also had high hopes of both these species today. Unfortunately my luck was out with all the mentioned species. It’s early days yet thought. There wasn’t much else of note apart from the sound of a few Common Chiffchaff and Song Thrush but it was nice to be out in the sunshine and it was a lovely walk.

Common Kestrel (Female)

Common Kestrel (Female)

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.