Lots of Shearwaters

Maer Rocks, Exmouth, Devon
As the conditions seemed perfect I decided to do a quick sea watch session once the kids were settled for the night. As soon as I set up the scope it was obvious that there was a lot of passage going on. Within a few minutes I had already counted 40 Manx Shearwater heading west. As I scoped the birds just didn’t seem to stop streaming through. One group came close in near the large bouy that the Terns rest on and I could make out a Balearic Shearwater. Try as I might I couldn’t even muster one of my crappy pictures. I stayed until the light was no longer any good (around 8:15pm) and had counted c 280 - 290 Manx Shearwater. Also of note were a group of Common Scoter close in and several Sandwich Tern on the previously mentioned bouy.

Manx Shearwater 

Sandwich Tern

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.