Half Day Off

Goosemoor, Topsham, Devon
I was going to have a full day off work to go birding but the weather made me change my mind so I opted for a half day. I started at Goosemoor but there was very little about initially. However the call of a Garden Warbler soon got my attention. I located the bird on Bowling Green Road in the trees to the left of the railway bridge. It showed briefly but I soon lost it. Also in that area were a Male and Female Eurasian Blackcap.

Bowling Green Marsh, Topsham, Devon
The rain set in again so I took refuge in the hide. On arrival I was aware of s lot of Hirundine activity. They were mainly Sand Martin but a number of Barn Swallow and a couple of Common House Martin accompanied them. A Cetti’s Warbler was calling at the left hand side at the back of the reeds and a single Little Grebe and Common Pochard were the best of the supporting cast. Then a Gull came in from the Estuary. It wouldn’t stay still as it flew around the reserve a few times and duly left. The rain was really coming down which hampered things but I felt at the time it was giving off Bonaparte’s Gull. I’ve since seen that it’s been reported later in the afternoon. So my initial thoughts seem to have been correct (for once).

Barn Swallow

Sand Martin

Sand Martins  

Maer Rock, Exmouth, Devon
I decided I fancied some sea watching so I pitched up at the raised beach huts near Maer Rocks. I watched for around 2 hours and it was rather productive. However Berry Head has put it to shame once again! During my watch I had a Common Loon, a Black-throated Loon, 5 Manx Shearwater, a Northern Fulmar, 4 Little Tern, 6. Common Tern, 1 Arctic Tern, 30 Sandwich Tern, 3 'Commic' Tern, 8 Black-legged Kittiwake, 5 Northern Gannet, 2 Common Murre, 2 unidentifiable Auk, 10 Common Scoter and 20 Pale-bellied Brant Goose. I was really surprised not to get a Skua. On Maer Rocks were 3 Purple Sandpiper and a totally knackered looking Male Northern Wheatear. He didn't move for quite some time. I checked back in on him from time to time and started to get concerned as the tide was starting to cover the Rocks. He left it until a moment or 2 before the Rocks were covered to muster up the strength to fly off towards the Maer, phew!

Northern Gannet  

Common Tern   

Little Tern (Honest) 

Northern Wheatear (Male)  

Purple Sandpiper  

Group of Purple Sandpiper

Common Scoter (Male)
Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 
A brief visit before calling it s day didn’t provide much more than a White Wagtail and 2 Eurasian Rock Pipit on the dung heap and a Common Whitethroat on Gore Lane. Matt Knott had a fruitless look around the top fields and was heading towards Bristol School Camp as I left. I’m not sure yet if that area was any better.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.