New Life

Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon
After work I visited the Otter again. This site keeps calling to me lately. You know when you just get that though of “I need to be there” today’s theme was Raptors and Warblers. On arrival at the white bridge, the first bird was a Female Conmon Kestrel followed by a Cetti’s Warbler. A little north of the bridge was a Female Eurasian Sparrowhawk gliding through the trees on the east side of the river. Again no Common Kingfisher or Water Rail. Will I ever see these species this year!!

I decided to try the south of the bridge and was rewarded with my first Sedge Warbler of the year. First heard singing then the briefest of views. A further brief view of a Eurasian Reed Warbler followed. Out on a tree stump on the east side of the river was a Conmon Buzzard. So Raptors V Warblers ended at a 3 all draw.

To finish the visit, at the white bridge was a group of Mallard Ducklings. My first young seen of any species this year. I do love watching Ducklings discovering their surroundings and I watched for a while. Their mummy was never too far away and watching over them. She duly shuffled them into cover when any passerby came near. New life is well underway!

Mallard Ducklings 
Byron Way, Exmouth, Devon 
Back at home this Bumblebee was on my side entrance gate. I’m ok with Butterflies and Dragonflies but I’m not great with identifying Bees. My best attempt at this species is a Buff-tailed Bumblebee but I would happily be corrected by anyone with superior knowledge than me.

Buff-tailed Bumblebee ??

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.