A Reservoir, A Lake And A Marsh

Cheddar Reservoir, Somerset 
I had the day off so decided to pop to a few places I’ve not visited for a good while. This was my first stop, with my main target of Red-crested Pochard. After a good search I drew a blank but the following notable species were logged. Common Loon, Greater Scaup, Common Pochard, Grey Wagtail a Male Mandarin Duck and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Greater Scaup (Male)
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Male)
Mandarin Duck (Male)
Common Loon
Chew Valley Lake, Avon 
I always struggle to bird this place, especially without a permit.
Targets here were the Lesser Scaup (not reported for a while but could still be on site) and Long-tailed Duck. I stoppped off at a couple of spots. The best I could muster were 4 Male Common Goldeneye, a Female Greater Scaup at the lay-by at Herons Green Bay, a few Mew Gull at the dam and several Common Pochard and a white Eurasian Coot at Herriotts Bridge. I always struggle with birding this place due to the size of the site so feeling a tad deflated, I moved on.

Goldeneye (Male)
Mew Gull
Steart Marshes, Somerset
A final site before heading home. The main target heat was Short-eared Owl. I started off at Otterhampton Marsh where 3 Eurasian Spoonbill showed distantly. I moved to Steart Gate for the target species and wasn’t disappointed, with 2 individuals on show. Also a major surprise was a Twite. I had heard that there had been a few reports of this bird but I wasn’t expecting to see it. It was rather flightly and skulking (not surprising with 2 Short-eared Owls on the prowl.

Short-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.