Dorset Delivers Again

A cracking “fill your boots” day out in Dorset.

Portland Harbour, Dorset 
First stop off in search of Loons and Grebes. It was rather quiet here but eventually a Black-throated Loon showed distantly. The only other bird of note was a Common Murre.

Sandsfoot Castle, Weymouth, Dorset 
My next stop proved better with a Common Loon, Horned Grebe, 6 Great Crested Grebe and 2 Black-necked Grebe.

Radipole Lake, Weymouth, Dorset 
My main targets here were the Ring-necked Duck and Bearded Reedling. After two circuits of the Buddleia Loop I was giving up hope of the later but just near the visitor centre I heard the distinctive call and there were a Male and Female at real close quarters. They were often slightly obscured and due to the breeze, never ventured right to the top of the reeds. I absolutely adore this species and wish I could see them more often. A quick look of the pontoons along the main road gave me the other target bird. Mission complete! Also on site were good numbers of Common Pochard, Gadwall and Tufted Duck. I was surprised not to get a Mediterranean Gull though!

Bearded Reedling (Male)
Bearded Reedling (Female)
Bearded Reedling (Female)
Bearded Reedling (Female)
Lodmoor, Weymouth, Dorset 
Next stop off was for the Lesser Yellowlegs. I got straight on to this cracking bird and had nice close views for a few minutes but it flew off before a photo opportunity. Also onsite was a Male Western Marsh Harrier, Ruff and good numbers of Common Snipe.

Ruff
Maiden Castle, Dorchester, Dorset
I couldn’t resist stopping off here for Corn Bunting and the place didn’t disappoint as I got straight on to a group of circa 20 birds.

Lyme Regis, Dorset 
A final stop off to look for the apart showy Common Eider and boy is it showy. The bird was outside the harbour and gave nice views. I couldn’t locate any Purple Sandpiper or the earlier reported Black Redstart in the Bowling Green area.

Common Eider (Male)

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.