A New Year

A new year and a fresh list to complete. 1 popped to a few sites and managed 82 species. I won’t mention them all but the highlights were.

Matford Marsh, Exeter 
I thought I would pop here in the hope of last years boggie bird (Yellow-browed Warbler). No joy but there was a Common Chiffchaff that got me excited for a second or so. Around the marsh were Black-tailed Godwit, Tufted Duck, Little Egret, Peregrine Falcon, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Common Snipe.

Powderham Sawmill
Another go at last years boggie bird but again there was no Yellow-browed Warbler on offer but a group of 6 Red-legged Partridge were close by.

Bowling Green Marsh, Topsham
A Little Gull off the Goat Walk was a welcome sight, also here were Pied Avocet, Red Knot, Grey Plover and Dunlin. Around the marsh were Redwing, Northern Pintail, Bar-tailed Godwit and Cetti’s Warbler. I didn’t stay long as it was far too overcrowded for my liking. I felt almost claustrophobic.

Orcombe Point, Exmouth 
A quick visit produced Cirl Bunting, Northern Raven and Meadow Pipit.

The Seafront, Exmouth
What is it about “We must all go for a walk on New Year’s Day?!” As again this place was far too busy (it was busier than I have ever seen it in the summer) so I didn’t hang about but did manage a distant Red-throated Loon

The Quay and Imperial Grounds, Exmouth 
Black Redstart, Common Eider, Mew Gull, Great Crested Grebe, Horned Grebe, Common Goldeneye and Red-breasted Merganser were the best on offer here.

Hayes Pig Farm, Yettington 
A quick visit got me a Brambling at the farm and a European Green Woodpecker nearby. A quick return visit to a site near the farm at dusk got me a Eurasian Woodcock.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.