Both Whitethroats In One Day

Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 
I spent a little over an hour on site this morning from 7:20 to 8:30. Birding was a tad more rewarding today with at least 3 Common Whitethroat. There may have been a forth but I couldn’t be sure as 2 birds in particularly were rather mobile and ranging around the top orchid field and coastal path whilst 1 bird was routed to the vegetation in the north east corner of the same field but I seemed to be getting 4 lots of song. In the electric fence field was a smart Male Northern Wheatear and a Female Common Kestrel stopped for a moment. A look around the dung field and possibly the same Male Northern Wheatear along with a Female were on offer. Also in the dung field were the 2 White Wagtail.

Common Whitethroat

Common Whitethroat

Common Kestrel (Female)

Northern Wheatear (Male)

Northern Wheatear (Male)

Northern Wheatear (Female)

White Wagtail

Northern Wheatear (Female)

The Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon
After work I was again drawn to the otter. I was pleased I did as there was a cracking Lesser Whitethroat on show near the white bridge. I enjoyed close prolonged views of a bird I don’t see to often.

Lesser Whitethroat

Lesser Whitethroat

Lesser Whitethroat

Exmouth Seafront, Devon 
A Text from Matt Knott alerted me to some Little Tern active on Exmouth seafront. I quickly headed off in pursuit. I arrived (around halfway along the seafront) just as Matt and Nick were leaving but they quickly gave me the low down on the birds. I was very quickly joined by Dave Stone and we both eagerly scanned the sea. There were some Sandwich Tern on offer along with a few Northern Gannet. We couldn’t however locate the birds we were hoping to see. I then picked out a smaller Tern on a sand bar that had appeared whilst waiting. It was distant but eventually I called it as a Common Tern and both Dave and myself were happy it was. Dave was happier as it was his first of the year. With no luck on the Little Tern I relocated to the Quay in the hope they had settled on Great Bull Hill or Warren Point but again there was no sign. Thanks as ever to Matt for the alert.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.