Yarner Wood

Yarner Wood, Bovey Tracey, Devon
An hour or so visit after work was rather satisfying. I started off by parking at the first Trendelbere car park and was rewarded with a Garden Warbler singing. I do love listening to their song. I only had the briefest of views (albeit a good view) but not enough for a photo opportunity. I had a look around the heath but didn’t locate any Tree Pipit. It had stated raining so they probably had the good sense to look for cover (whilst this idiot birders stood there getting soaked!) I looked in the trees on the end of the heath for any Lesser Spotted Woodpecker but all I could manage was a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

I then drove to the next car park. This may sound lazy but when time is against you have to utilise it well. It had stopped raining so I staked out the area by the entance gate. Within I few minutes I got fabulous views of 2 Female and 1 Male Pied Flycatcher. One of the Females was rather interesting. I think the white patch on the primaries of one of the birds seemed rather large, well larger than I have ever witnessed. I know what your thinking, he’s thinking this is a Collared Flycatcher. Well, yes it did cross my mind if I’m honest. However I’ve never seen a Collared and my time with Pieds over the years has been limited. So I’ve probably not noticed or seen one that’s a bit different. I did manage some pictures but the light was awful. It’s probably nothing unusual but I do like to share my thoughts on this blog and point out things that I find odd or unusual.

I think the side on photos show the size, length and shape of the primary wing bar. It also had a white forehead patch. I guess the Iberian sub species is a possibility too but I don’t yet know enough about that subspecies. I guess I need to brush up on my Flycatchers.

It’s weird, I’ve been birding for a long time now but I still come across things that make my stop and think. As the saying goes “everyday is a school day”

European Pied Flycatcher (Female) 

European Pied Flycatcher (Female)

European Pied Flycatcher (Female)

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.