Red Knot Or Not?

Bowling Green Marsh, Topsham, Devon
A pre work visit to the hide early morning. There wasn't a great deal about but on my first scan of the waders on the spit I was drawn to this smaller wader. It was sleeping when I first saw it so I couldn't be sure what it was. It woke up to preen itself for a moment or two and I could only manage a few of my rubbish photos. At the time it was sleeping, I did think Red Knot. However when it was preening etc. the neck looked to long for a Red Knot (picture 1 kind of capture this). The light was awful (as it can be at this site when the sun is low) but the bird was a medium sized wader and looked a dull brown / grey on the back, wings and head (almost like a non breeding Godwit plumage). The chest and belly were white but the chest had some faint barring on it. It was short billed and the supercilium stood out a mile (picture 2 shows this). I had a proper look at the pictures during my lunch break and conferred with my trusty Collins App and the only suitable candidate was a Red Knot. Although it didn't quite sit well with me (me and my curiosity again!).
Mystery Wader - Longer neck than I would expect for Red Knot


Mystery Wader - Look at that Supercilium!

Mystery Wader - Short bill

I returned to the site after work to have another look. There were plenty of Waders about. Mainly Black-tailed Godwit but a couple of Dunlin and several Red Knot were in the mix. I was glad there were Red Knot about as it gave me a chance to do a compare and contrast on the bird from this morning. And in honesty, looking at the Red Knot has made me think my bird from this morning didn't quite fit with how these birds looked. However I cant seem to tag it to anything else at the moment! Also on site was a Ruff, a few Sand Martin and a Male Eurasian Blackcap on the road near Goosemoor.

Red Knot in amongst Black-tailed Godwit 

Dunlin in amongst Black-tailed Godwit 

Black-tailed Godwit

The Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon
I had time for a quick look before heading home. The Cetti's Warbler was in song near the white bridge. No sign of the Lesser Whitethroat but to be fair I wasn't on site long. Still no Common Kingfisher or Water Rail! A few Barn Swallow were about but apart from that the site was very quiet.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.