Nightingales, Bitterns And Lots Of Cool Stuff

Bridgewater and Taunton Canal near Lower Durston, Somerset
There is a little spot I know of on this canal that holds a few Common Nightingale. I got there to be greeted with the delightful song and encountered stonking views of 2 individuals. Also around the area were a few Eurasian Blackcap and Common Chiffchaff.

Common Chiffchaff


Eurasian Blackcap (Male)


Common Nightingale  

Common Nightingale  

Common Nightingale  

Common Nightingale   

Common Nightingale    

Common Nightingale  
Common Vetch   

Ground Ivy

Chinese Hawthorn  
Greylake, Somerset 
As this was just around the corner, I popped in for a quick look around. I didn’t stay long as I struggle with this reserve. I have only been a few times but I find the reserve hard work as I seem to be looking at head height reed all the time. I did see a few Eurasian Reed Warbler though.

Field Mustard  

Common Comfrey 

Ham Wall, Somerset 
My next stop was just up the road at Ham Wall. I have visited a few times this year but not seen Eurasian Bittern so this species plus Common Cuckoo were my priority birds. It was rather busy today but it didn’t deter the birds. The first bird of note was a Great Egret, I eventually racked up 10 by the time I left. I was treated to a Male Marsh Harrier next and numerous Common Swift were screaming above. In fact there were so many Common Swift I lost count of the numbers. Next I managed to get one of my 2 bogey birds of this year in the form of a Common Kingfisher... phew. Typically (once you see one the flood gates open) I ended up seeing 2 birds. I had heard both my target birds calling by this point so I kept going to the Avalon hide being treated to quite a few Garden Warbler and Eurasian Blackcap. There were no sightings of either species at the hide but I was delighted to see a ball of fluff... I mean Tawny Owl chick. A gorgeous looking thing indeed. I moved back to the Tor View Hide and I was instantly treated in flight views of a Common Cuckoo and within a minute 2 flight views of Eurasian Bittern (its like waiting for a bus). There were a lot of Eurasian Reed Warbler around the Reserve and several Cetti’s Warbler giving it large (as they do).I was surprised not to see a Eurasian Hobby though. With my boots filled I stopped for a coffee and ate my lunch before heading off elsewhere.

Common Kingfisher

Common Kingfisher 

Garden Warbler 

Tawny Owl (Chick)

Greylag Goose 

Common Swift

Great Egret

Great Egret

Maer Rocks, Exmouth, Devon
As I left Ham Wall I decided I would head back to Exmouth and check the sea as conditions looked pretty good. I watched for around an hour and half and managed a few good sightings. First off were 2 Great Skua that were rather distant and didn’t hang about but enjoyable all the same. Tern activity got good at one point with circa 20 Sandwich Tern and a couple of Commic Tern. In amongst this was a Little Tern, this surprised me a little as I though this should be on a breeding ground by now. Then I picked out a bird that looked to have a different jizz to it. It always stayed distant so I couldn’t get a full positive ID but it was looked a tad smaller than Sandwich Tern and looked to have shorter wings and a slower and shallower flight pattern. My only thought is a Roseate Tern. Looking at BirdGuides there have been a couple reported so it’s possible this was indeed one but as I mentioned, I couldn’t get enough on it. During my time there around 20 Manx Shearwater passed through, all heading west and 1 Auk species and a single Northern Fulmar.

When all is said and done, a rather productive and very enjoyable day out.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.