Looking For Butterflies And Other Winged Critters

Bystock Pools, Exmouth, Devon 
I had to pop to the recycling centre this afternoon so I decided to do a quick circuit of both the Meadow area and Pool areas of the reserve. I was hoping for a selection of Butterflies and Dragonflies. There were only Small White and Large White on the wing in the Meadow so I drove around to the pool area. It was rather busy so I knew my chances would be slim on seeing much but I continued to walk to the end of the boardwalk. None of the Butterflies settled so no pictures but did see a Brimstone and best of all large Fritillary species. As it was a flight view I couldn’t make out which one. The likely species here is High Brown or Dark Green but both aren’t usually on the wing until mid June. So is this something else or are they simply making the most of the nice weather? I also spied a ???? that rested on the boardwalk.

I also spotted a Terrapin. Now most people would say WOW! but not me. There must have been pet ones realised there a few years ago and as much as I like them, they cause severe damage to the ecosystem. I know the warden tries to eradicate them when discovered. The reason for this is they love to eat the dragonfly larva. With quite a number of important species breeding there, this can be devastating.

On the bird front it was rather quiet. A Common Buzzard was sat in the Meadow on arrival and a few Song Thrush were singing away. In the trees around the Meadow were a few Great Tit, Eurasian Blue Tit and European Robin and a European Green Woodpecker flew over.

Iceland Poppy  

Gorse   

Fairy Primrose  

Dog Violet  

Creeping Cinquefoil  

Wild Strawberry    

Common Sowthistle 

Small Red Damselfly (Female)

Terrapin 

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.