Family Holiday To Marmaris, Turkey

Mamaris, Turkey (27/5/19 - 9/6/19)
I’ve just had a two weeks family holiday in Turkey. Ive been to Turkey 4 times before this trip and although they are family holidays I normally have some good species from a few walks I manage to get in or family trips.

Hotel and surrounding area 
We were based on the outskirts of the town near a forest area. Not too many bird species were seen throughout the holiday in this area but there were some quality ones. There were a few Black-capped Jay (the areas subspecies of Eurasian Jay), a Lesser kestrel was seen almost daily. Red-rumped Swallow, Pallid Swift and lots of Hooded Crow were seen every day around the complex. In the adjacent scrub / woodland edge were Sardinian Warbler and on the second day an ever better Eastern Orphean Warbler. Both species I could watch from my balcony and they showed a few days throughout the stay. There was a daily overhead movement of Yellow-legged Gull (morning and evening). On one of my walks around the area outside the hotel, I was lucky enough to spot an Eleonora’s Falcon which gave a slow and exceptional flyby view. On another walk I spotted a pair of Rock Dove and Alpine Swift. The local farm had Helmeted Guineafowl. Not a native species so I can’t add it to my Turkey list. On the last day from my balcony, I was super chuffed to spot a Syrian Woodpecker. This is a species I’ve been hoping to catch up with every time I’ve visited Turkey. More common species included Common House Martin, Eurasian Collared Dove, Barn Swallow, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, House Sparrow, Common Blackbird, Common Swift, White Wagtail, Eurasian Goldfinch, Eurasian Blue Tit, Coal Tit. Great Tit, Eurasian Blackcap, Common Whitethroat, Tawny Owl, Eurasian Hobby and Eurasian Magpie. 

On the Butterfly front were a few new ones for me with Knapweed Fritillary, Glanville Fritillary, Powdered Brimstone and Eastern Bath White. Also Common Blue, Holly Blue, Large White, Painted Lady, Millet Skipper and Comma. Dragonflies included a few new ones with Odalisque and Black Pennant. Other wildlife included a new lizard for me with Starred Agama. On one night I heard what must have been Wild Hog foraging in the adjacent woods. 

Jeep Safari
One day was spent out on a Jeep safari. The first half was a massive water gun fight which I think I loved more than the kids. We did have a few stop offs. One at a waterfall and the other at Jesus Beach. So named because it’s so shallow you can walk out a long way and at a distance it looks like your walking on water. As ever I always tried to have one eye on the wildlife. The highlights of this tour being a Bonelli’s Eagle and Crested Lark. Other species included Northern Lapwing, Corn Bunting, more Red-rumped Swallow and Hooded Crow, Eurasian Magpie, Black-capped Jay, Common Chaffinch, Common Swift, House Sparrow, Eurasian Collared Dove, Barn Swallow and Common House Martin. Other wildlife included Beautiful Demoiselle and Spur-thighed Tortoise.

On a non bird related subject. I jumped off a Waterfall. Scary as hell as it looks very high when your up there.


Boat Trip
We had another trip on the second week where we set sail on a pirate ship. It was very slim pickings on this trip with the most notable species being Yellow-legged Gull. A few stop offs produced Alpine Swift, Barn Swallow, Common House Martin and House Sparrow.


Airport and Coach transfer 
We arrived in the early hours so I couldn’t spot anything. However on the way home I spotted a few White Storks sat on nests and at the airport I had a surprise Isabelline Wheatear. More Crested Lark, Hooded Crow and Red-rumped Swallow. 


Smyrna Earwig

Starred Agama


No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.