Bystock Butterflies

Bystock Meadow, Exmouth, Devon
After work I went in search of Butterflies at my local hot spot. There was quite a lot of activity on offer. The best for me being a single Silver-washed Fritillary. I always enjoy seeing this species as they really stand out. This particular one would not sit still for a picture. I loved seeing several Marbled White that were dotted about. There was a decent number of Painted Lady. There’s been a real influx of these this year that seem to be bolstered by Red Admiral, also present in the meadow edges. A single Speckled Wood and Gatekeeper put in a short appearances. Large Skipper and Common Blue were spotted and good numbers of Meadow Brown. It was a joy to see Common Spotted Orchid in bloom. I’m still learning the ropes with Moths so Matt Knott has bailed me out with the ID of the below and it’s a Straw-barred Pearl

Straw-barred Pearl

Common Blue

Large Skipper

Marbled White

Red Admiral (Underwing)

Red Admiral 

Common Spotted Orchid 

2 comments:

matt knott said...

Hi Spencer - your moth is Pyrausta despicata - a common day-flying 'micro'. Bystock is a good spot for them. Cheers. Matt

Spencer Dicks said...

Hi Matt. I knew you would advise. I’m still trying to get to grips with moths. It’s a vast subject. Many thanks for the ID mate. Hopefully see you around at some point?

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.