A Sad Lady Amherst’s Pheasant

World Of Country Life, Exmouth, Devon 
I haven’t visited this place in a few years (its bloody expensive) but we had free passes for the family due to the kids completing the summer reading challenge set out by Exmouth library. If you complete the task you earn yourself a medal. Both my daughters blitzed the task so we headed off to get their rewards.

I remembered from my last trip that they kept a number of birds to I couldn’t resist taking a peek. I came across this sad looking Male Lady Amherst’s Pheasant (I’d look sad if I were caged too I guess). True be told though, this is probably and unfortunately the only way you will ever see this species in the UK. As far as I know, the last wild bird seen was a Male in Millbrook, Bedfordshire in 2016. This species is almost certainly extinct. Fortunately I have been lucky enough to see a wild bird so it’s on my life list.

Lady Amherst’s Pheasant (Male)
They also had some Golden Pheasant. Another bird that will probably stop being self sustaining and go extinct in the UK. I’ve not seen a wild bird so I hope I do before that occurs.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.