Birding With Sciatica

Shelley Beach, Exmouth, Devon 
I haven’t been birding for a number of days as I have a severe case of sciatica. I’ve never suffered with this condition before but I can now honestly say I understand what it feels like and appreciate the excruciating pain that comes with it. I’m still working but at home as I can do things instantly to ease the pain and I am working sporadic hours. My GP said I should try to keep to normal activities but at a slower pace (hence my wanting to try to keep working). However, I’ve been too nervous that the pain would get the better of me if I went out until today. So I made the decision that I felt the pain relief was working enough for me to try some gentle birding, so I popped to Shelley Beach. I wanted to catch up with the Black Redstart and I didn’t have to look too hard to find the cracking Male hanging about on its favoured rooftop location in Windjammer Court. After the last few days, I can tell you that it brought a nice smile to face.

Maer Rocks, Exmouth, Devon 
I then drove the short distance to the rocks and had a very gentle walk to the tide line. There were 3 Purple Sandpiper right near the waves at the far end of the rock. The tide was coming in so they were trying to avoid the waves whilst feeding. Several Ruddy Turnstone were also pottering about in the same general area. Feeling pleased to finally be out and see some nice stuff, I slowly walked back to the car to head home.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.