A Nice Surprise

Bowling Green Marsh, Topsham, Devon 
I popped to the hide first thing before work in the hope of catching up with the reported Glossy Ibis. Fellow birder Dave Stone was already in the hide and I soon discovered that there was no sign of the bird. Dave kindly updated me on a few highlights on the reserve which included circa 150 Bar-tailed Godwit and 4 Pied Avocet. Dave was still in the hide when I left, so he may have added to that list. As we were chatting I could see that Dave had clocked something over my shoulder, so I turned to look in the direction he was looking (left of the hide). We both saw a large white bird flying out of the tree line and head towards Darts Farm. At first I simply thought “Swan” but within a couple of seconds we both realised we were watching a Great Egret! It flew over the railway line and dropped out of site. A very good record for the reserve and I went to work a happy chappy!

Powderham Marsh, Devon
After work I done a super quick walk to the viewing platform and back. I was hoping for the Snow Goose. I know the bird is of questionable origin but I still enjoy seeing it. No joy but I spotted my first Peregrine Falcon of the year, sat on one of the pylons. Nothing much else of real note, just the usual suspects you would expect there.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.