Thurlestone Shrike - BOU Versus IOC And The Confusion Its Creating

The Thurlestone Shrike
Its been intersting to see the converstaions that are occuring on social media about the Shrike at Thurlestone. Let me explain. Since the 1st January 2018, the British Ornithological Union (BOU) have adopted the International Community of Ornithologists (IOC) taxonomy list. Now I have to admit that this was a bold move and in my opion a good one. I know that the BOU have aspired to having or being a part of a uniformed list for some time and even tried working towards a European standard taxonomic list. A few years ago they disbanded thier own taxonomy board to show their intent. I think it is a good move as many bird species occur all over the world and end up having slightly different names in some regions and discrepancies in the amount of subspecies tied to the mominate species. In my mind, if a bird is called something surely it should be called the same thing everywhere and science being where it is these days, we should know the exact definition of what is a species or subpecies. I strongly believe the IOC is working extremely hard to achieve these answers.

Anyway, back to the Shrike. It has been logged as Isabelline on Birdguides then changed to Isabelline Sp, and Daurian on other reporting mechanisms why? Well as far as I can see its due to descrepancies between the IOC and BOU naming of species. The IOC splits Daurian and Turkestan (as we call them) but name them -

Isabelline Shrike Lanius isabellinus
Red-tailed Shrike Lanius phoenicuroides
This can plainly be seen here IOC Shrike List
So these are on the British list but this is where it gets confusing. As the BOU name them -

Daurian Shrike Lanius isabellinus
Turkestan Shrike Lanius phoenicuroides
The British list clearly points out that they name these species differently to the IOC as the list states - The British name, the IOC name and the Scientific name.
This can be seen here BOU British-List to get to the Shrikes just scroll down to page 8 

So already I can see why people are getting confused. I even saw one comment saying "For me its Isabelline as its not datk enough for Daurian" well in fact those two names are the same species. I dont mean any disrespect to anyone by pointing that out, I just think it shows that there is confusion about this bird. I have seen some top birders wonder what the hell to log it as too. So I guess whats needed is another bold move by the BOU and completly adopt not just the taxonomy of the IOC list but the names too.

I know us Brits will struggle with this as we have our names for birds but in order to obtain a true world wide list, someone has to conform somewhere. You'll note that I already have as I always refer to IOC names on this blog but yes I still struggle to call a Guillemot a Common Murre when in the company of other birders. Perhaps its because I dont want funny looks or "You what?" comments. But we can change. After all some bird names in my life time have been changed. Dabchick and Hedge Sparrow for example are now Little Grebe and Dunnock respectively.

There is an excel document on the BOU site that show how names have evolved. If you follow this link English and scientific names – 1923 to 2012 it shows a number of changes in red text. Even the European Robin (IOC name) wasn't called a Robin (BOU name) in those days, it was a Redbreast. There are many of us that still affectionately call a Thrush Nightingale a Sprosser and a Ferruginous Duck was a White-eyed Pochard (I actually quite like that). So we are receptive to change but it could take a generation or so to fully take place,

The only issue I have with the IOC format is the fact that they keep some species as 1 word names. For example I will go back to the poor Dunnock. No for me I believe a bird should have a species name followed by a family name. So a minimum of 2 words, for example Grey Wagtail, House Sparrow. It makes sense to me. Lets give the Dunnock its old name back but with a 21st century twist and call it a Hedge Accentor. I actually wrote to the IOC asking whether this was something that they we planning to work on as they have strick naming policies.I even gave some suggestions, whuch they actually liked but at present I think there is too much pressure not to change some names that have been around for generations.

Out of curiosity I will share some of my naming suggestions. Please note that I didnt just pluck these out of thin air. I actually researched these names as they are used in some parts of the world or are old names from 100's of year ago.

Dunlin - Red-backed Sandpiper
Sanderling - White Sandpiper
Smew - White Merganser
Killdeer - Chattering Plover
Gadwall - Noisy Duck (I do think I would struggle with this one mind!)

Sorry, I have got distracted to the main point of what is the Thurlestone Shrike? Well I havent yet seen it so I can only go on photos. I was hoping to pop along this afternoon but family duties put pay to that but I would say it is Isabelline Shrike (Daurian Shrike in old money).

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.