Partridges, White Pheasant And Hares

Stantywell Farm, Otterton, Devon
I decided to walk along the road from the farm to the entrance track to the Sewage works in search of any Finches or Buntings. There were no Buntings and only a handful of Common Chaffinch but I hope numbers will increase the deeper we get in to Autumn and move into Winter. There were decent numbers of House Sparrow. That wouldn’t be unusual a number of years ago but these days a very nice and encouraging sight.

As I moved down the road I came across a nice group of Red-legged Partridge. Some of the bird’s showed at decent range and it was a joy to watch them potter about. The next field held several Common Pheasant with a couple of odd variations, including a lovely White form and a few European Rabbit. Also flying overhead were a few Eurasian Skylark and Meadow Pipit but the best was yet to come as I walked back up to the farm I noted 2 large looking Rabbits. I got the scope on them and quickly realised that these were not your normal European Rabbit but were Brown Hare. The 2 individuals sat there nicely and seemed oblivious to me watching them. Hard to believe but this was my first sighting of this species in Devon.

Red-legged Partridge 
Red-legged Partridg
Red-legged Partridge
Red-legged Partridge (Group)

Common Pheasant (White variation)

Common Pheasant (White variation)

Brown Hare

Brown Hares

Brown Hare

Brown Hare

Red-legged Partridges and European Rabbit

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.