Isabelline Shrike

Thurlestone, Devon
I got up later than planned this morning so missed my chance at a dawn attempt at the Thurlestone Shrike. I did however have the afternoon off as I had an appointment and just had enough time to have a go at it this afternoon. I have to say the bird was easy to get on to as it was busily feeding and perching on a bush (as I would expect a Shrike to be doing) near the coastal path a little way down from the green hut that’s mentioned in all the reports.

I had really good views and can confidently say it’s an Isabelline Shrike or as BOU call it Daurian Shrike. For it to be Red-tailed or BOU name Turkestan, I would have expected a more contrasting bird with darker upper parts and cleaner underparts.

It was a welcome relief to actually connect with a Shrike this year after dipping on the Soapy Cove Brown Shrike (that still hurts) only the other week and a reported Red-Backed Shrike a little while ago on East Budleigh Common. I’m hoping a Great Grey Shrike will turn up on Colaton Raleigh Common soon (one normally has by now). As I do like that species.

Also on site were a few Eurasian Skylark, Meadow Pipit, European Stonechat and a Common Kestrel

Isabelline Shrike 

Isabelline Shrike 

Isabelline Shrike 

Isabelline Shrike 

Isabelline Shrike

Isabelline Shrike

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.