More Snow

Exnouth, Devon
I didn’t get out birding but did walk to my mum in law and then my Sister in laws. There were a fair few birds on the move west mid morning, obviously aware of what was coming our way. The numbers weren’t anywhere near the last snow event but of note were Redwing, Fieldfare and Common Starling.

I put out extra food and had a flock of 15 Eurasian Goldfinch gladly scoffing away. I don’t get too many of them around me so this flock was a welcome sight. I do hope they all make it.

I feel for the migrating species at the moment. Can you imagine travelling hundreds (if not into the thousands) of miles, being absolutely exhausted then having to face this? It will no doubt take its toll. Then there’s the early breeders like Common Blackbird that will also suffer from this. We’ve had no serious snow for around 8 years and then we are blasted with 2 major events a few weeks apart. I just hope the losses aren’t too bad this time.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.