Corn Bunting

Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 
I worked from home due to the snow and at late lunchtime I was pleased with how thinks had panned out. The reason for being was that I received a text from Matt Knott that he had a Corn Bunting in the new dung field. I had very little time so I set off with my binoculars and drove up. All the roads in Exmouth were clear at this point so I hoped Maer Lane and Gore Lane were passable. It’s turns out the route up from the lifeboat station is flooded, which it has been quite a lot over the last few weeks. Luckily I always come in from the Littleham direction so all was well. I bumped into Matt whilst I was there as he had just returned from a walk around and we both got straight into the bird sitting in some snow on the right hand side of the dung heap. It was bitterly cold so we both had watery eyes so  not the greatest of views but still a delight as this is a real rarity for Devon and indeed my first sighting in Devon.

I did manage another quick look later on (armed with gear to get a photo) but the best I could manage was a few very brief flight views. So no photo. Also a few Meadow Pipits and Eurasian Rock Pipit.

As ever, thanks to Matt for the text. I owe you a pint for that find mate.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.