Berry Head Sea Watching

Berry Head, Brixham, Devon
I had a few hours sea watching today. I went with my mate who at present is unable to make the trek back up the quarry. So I spent an hour from the headland and an hour from the sea watching site. On the headland conditions where awful but down on the sea watching area was more productive. On arriving a cracking Sooty Shearwater showed incredibly close. 4 Balearic Shearwater and a couple of Manx Shearwater also came through. 1 Great Skua and 3 Parasitic Jaeger put in an appearance but a few more Parasitic Jaeger were called out but I failed to get on them in the gloom. A European Storm Petrel was called and lost as soon as called. Frustrating but that’s the nature of that species. It is hard to pick out a Starling size bird in gloomy conditions at distance. Supporting cast were a couple of Common Tern, Sandwich Tern and Mediterranean Gull, Several Northern Fulmar, a raft of Black-legged Kittiwake and a number of Northern Gannet. No photos today due to weather conditions. I got rather wet is an understatement and a warm cuppa in the cafe was very welcome.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.