Just Trying To Do The Right Thing

Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon 
I aimed to take a walk from the white bridge to the hide. On arrival I noted a Cetti’s Warbler a few Eurasian Reed Warbler gathering grubs and several Barn Swallow hawking over the water for insects. Things were rather enjoyable on the bridge until I heard a splash and someone saying “Go find it boy” and a dog duly jumped in the river from the reed bed area (on the right hand side, looking towards the mouth of the Estuary) where Eurasian Reed Warblers possibly have nests. I was annoyed by this but the dog returned to the path and it stopped. I carried on enjoying the views etc from the bridge when from path (where the bench is) the same dog splashed into the river. All the mentioned birds flew off (the Warblers probably leaving young unattended!) I walked round I noted an elderly chap throwing stones in to the river and repeatedly saying “Go find it boy”.

I arrived at the bench to find that it was actually an elderly couple. I want it known that I have nothing against dogs but do have an issue with irresponsible owners. I politely said “I’m not wishing to be awkward here but your dog really shouldn’t be in the river. It does say on the information boards to keep dogs on the path”. The chap sort of acknowledged this and said “Ok”. I was happy to leave it there when the lady chirped up in an aggressive voice “everyone else does it so why shouldn’t we?” I could feel my anger rising (more so in this heat) but kept my cool and said “I would tell anyone the same thing. This is an SSSI Nature Reserve that holds important breeding species!”. The chap then decided to air his opinions “My dog is hot, he needs to cool off.”. I responded with “I appreciate that and I do care but I really dont think this place is appropriate. Do you?” They both then mumbled something in tandem which I didn’t catch. I decided I wasn’t going to get anywhere with these and walked away saying. “You need to respect others that want to enjoy the area!”.

So I preceded on my walk but came back within five minutes to find that they had moved on. Perhaps my words had made a deference? Now I do appreciate that they had just as much right to be there and enjoy the place but they seemed to have no respect for anything apart from the dog. Again, please don’t think I have it in for dogs. In fact it’s the opposite as I have been a dog owner. However I would personally take my dog to a more appropriate place if I wanted it to be able to cool off and I would respect any notices placed at sites that involved dog control.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.