Out And About In Devon

Ludwell Valley, Exeter, Devon
This can be a good site for White-throated Dipper but none seen ofay. I did see 4 Green Sandpiper and 2 Grey Wagtail.


Stover County Park, Devon 

20 Common Merganser mainly females but 4 males, a pair of Mandarin Duck, 2 pairs of Common Pochard. On the feeder were a pair of Eurasian Bullfinch, a male Eurasian Siskin, 3 Eurasian Nuthatch and plenty of Coal Tit, European Blue Tit and Great Tit.


Exminster Marsh, Devon

100’s of Eurasian Wigeon but I couldn’t locate the American Wigeon, which I later discovered had relocated back to Matford Marsh. However I was pleased to see a Western Marsh Harrier on leaving site.


Cockwood, Devon 

I had cracking views of the resident Horned Grebe and a Common Loon from the railway steps. Also of note were a group of 20 Grey Plover and a single Great Crested Grebe.


Exmouth, Devon

Awesome close views of a Common Firecrest on the path at the rear of the Cricket pitch. One of my favourite birds and I love watching them potter about.


Hayes Barton, Devon 

My last stop was the pig farm to see if there were any Red-legged Partridge in the surrounding fields but nothing about. It was dusk when in left and just up the road (on the way back to Exmouth) near the triangular road section. I was stopped in my tracks by a pair of eyes in my headlights. I edged forward very slowly and got excellent views of a Eurasian Woodcock. I managed to observe the bird for a few moments before it realised I was watching it and it quickly vanished into the scrub. The best views I have ever had as I normally only get flyovers. 

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.