Black Kite and Red Kite

Ottery St Mary, Devon 

I had to pop to Sainsbury's to pick up a few bits early evening but I couldn't resist a 30 or so minutes blip around the River Otter south of St Saviours Bridge. I was first treated to a Cetti's Warbler literally by the Bridge. I walked over the footbridge and through the first gate. All the while hoping for a Common Whitethroat as I did have one stop off here this time last last year.

No sooner had I walked through the gate, I picked up a raptor through the trees to my right. It was obscured but I got Red Kite vibes. Boy, was I wrong. The bird came reasonably low over the treeline and I had one of those heart stopping moments as I realised I was tracking a Black Kite. It veered on and off over the treeline heading rather quickly south. I got the news out straight away in the hope someone further south could get on to it. 

10 minutes or so later I picked up a Kite that was heading north. I hoped that it was the the Black Kite doing a u turn but this time I was on to a Red Kite. I got the news out again and did manage to get another local birder on to the bird as it drifted over his house. I'm still in awe at having a two Kite day in such a short period. 

Also on site, were numerous Sand Martin, Common House Martin, Barn Swallow, Eurasian Blackcap, Eurasian Treecreeper and Grey Wagtail. 

I went shopping with a real spring in my step and forgot all about the fact I didn't see a Common Whitethroat!

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.