Western Yellow Wagtail

Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 

I had the day off so popped to the point. I remember how hard work it used to be at times birding that place but wow do I miss it now I've moved from Exmouth. 

I started off watching the dung field and a wader flew over me and landed in the long weeds opposite the gate. First thought was Curlew but bill was shorter so then Whimbrel came to mind. However, its underwing gave off a distinct black armpit. The only wader that springs to mind then is Grey Plover. However, the jizz seemed wrong. The bird was never seen again despite a long watch so it will go in the "What was that pile?" 

A walk from Gore Lane to the coastal path flushed a Northern Wheatear that flew towards the geoneedle and many Meadow Pipit. I then walked along the coastal path towards Sandy Park and in amongst the cows were 2 Western Yellow Wagtail. 

On the Butterfly front were numerous Small Copper. 

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.