Eurasian Dotterel

Dawlish Warren, Devon 

I've been on a family visit to Wales this weekend so when news broke yesterday of a Eurasian Dotterel I was gutted. Gutted, because despite the many species I've seen. I've never seen this species. It's a species I remember seeing in my first bird book as a young lad and saying to myself "I really want to see one of those!' Despite several attempts at this species I've never got the opportunity. So, I was gutted as this is a species that never tend to stick around and I resigned myself to that fact I'd missed a cracking opportunity. Imagine my face when I heard it was still there today. Hmmm, there's still a chance. 

I left Wales as planned after lunch and it took 3 hours to get back to Ottery. I was tired to say the least but knew I couldn't miss this chance. Due to other family things we had to do on returning home I didn't set off until 5:45pm. However, that did coincide with the tide being right. I walked (rather fast) to the bight and was put straight on to the bird by a helpful chap. To say I was giddy would be an understatement as the views were incredible. I enjoyed the views for a while (pinching myself). Now I've seen much rarer birds but this as I've mentioned this was special as its been years of waiting to see. I walked back along the beach and was treated to a lovely group of Sanderling. I do love watching these birds dart in and out around the surf. They are comical at times.

One knackered but extremely happy chap. 

Eurasian Dotterel 

Eurasian Dotterel 

Sanderling 

Sanderling 

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.