Buntings And A Cattle Egret

Stantywell Farm, Otterton, Devon 

I had the day off today so I decided to venture outside of Ottery. I haven't visited Statywell Farm for some time and was so pleased to be back here. The main target was of course Cirl Bunting and I managed 6 individuals. Numbers are down from previous visits but the species is spreading further east, so its a good thing in my book. Other Bunting species also on site were a single Female Yellowhammer and Male Common Reed Bunting. A nice group of circa 30 Common Linnet, several Eurasian Skylark and 2 Stock Dove made the supporting cast. I was disappointed not to see Red-legged Partridge but a nice Brown Hare made me smile before I left.

Common Reed Bunting (Male)

Brown Hare 

Cirl Bunting (Male)


White Bridge, Budleigh Salterton, Devon 

I couldn't resist the lure of a long staying Western Cattle Egret, so I popped here to take a look. The bird showed very nicely in the first field with the cattle along with several Little Egret. Best views were from the path heading north of the White Bridge. Not much else of note but a Little Grebe from the Bridge was a welcome sight.

Western Cattle Egret 

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.