Winter Wildfowl Spectacle

Slimbridge, Gloucestershire
I had my annual winter visit to the WWT centre today. I do love visiting at this time of year to witness the wildfowl spectacle. My target was the Holden Hide as this gives a good viewpoint of the reserve and you can usually get all the main species the reserve has to offer. From the hide there were large groups of (Bewick’s) Tundra Swan, Whooper Swan, Greater White-fronted Goose, and Greylag Goose, there were a decent number of Barnacle Goose but they were always very distant as were the 7 Common Crane that were on site. 2 Peregrine Falcon were again distant and hunkering on the ground from the wind, From the Martin Smith hide were 2 Ruff. There were also 3 Pink-footed Goose on site and I wasn’t sure if they were captive or not. Either way, they were a welcome site.

Pink-footed Goose 
(Bewick’s) Tundra Swan
Common Moorhen  
Greylag Goose
Greater White-fronted Goose
Whilst onsite it had a look around the captive enclosures so I could brush up on those rarer species that turn up in the UK including some of those mega American diving Ducks.

Ruddy Shelduck (Female)
Goldeneye (Male)
Common Goldeneye (Female)
Lesser White-fronted Goose
Common Eider (Male and Female) 
Red-breasted Goose 
Snow Goose
Smew (Male)
Canvasback (Male)
Redhead (Male)
Cackling Goose
Bufflehead (Male)
Barrow’s Goldeneye (Male)
Greater Scaup (Male)
Lesser Scaup (Male)
Ring-necked Duck (Male)
Westhay Moor, Somerset
On the way home I popped here in the hope of a Bearded Reedling. At first the place seemed devoid of life but things picked up with a Male Western Marsh Harrier and a Merlin. I heard a few Bearded Reedling but I failed to locate any birds.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.