Laughing Gull

Slapton, Devon 

I have wanted to see Laughing Gull for as long as I have been birding but the timing has never been right due to work, family etc. I have also manged to dip a few over the years. So when I had the chance to look for the supposedly showy 2nd Winter bird in the Slapton / Beesands area today. I simply had to go. I arrived at the memorial car park to be told it was showing superbly 10 minutes ago. Here I go I thought. Another dip? 

Whilst I waited I was treated to a Mediterranean Gull on the beach. After 10 minutes or so someone shouted that it was heading towards us and I was straight on the bird within seconds of the call. It first decided to sit on the Ley which was OK views and I was pleased to finally see this species but I wanted better. A few minutes later it was flying literally 10 feet above our heads so I managed a few flight shots with my phone. It then sat on the sea briefly before finally sitting where I wanted it, on the beach. 

I did take a short look for the Ring-necked Duck without success but getting to enjoy the Laughing Gull was much more enjoyable.

Laughing Gull (2nd winter)

Laughing Gull  (2nd winter)

Laughing Gull  (2nd winter)

Laughing Gull  (2nd winter)

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.