European Storm Petrel

Otterton Coastal Path, Devon

I had the afternoon off as it was perfect sea watching conditions. So I headed here as it's the nearest descent location to pitch up. It all started very quiet with the commoner species of Northern Gannet, Northern Fulmar, Black-legged Kittiwake and Common Scoter. After about 30 minutes I picked out a cracking European Storm Petrel. And literally 5 minutes later a Sooty Shearwater. Hmmm, this could be a good session I thought. As it happens I was right. A further 2 European Storm Petrel but better still a Leach's Storm Petrel. I didn't put the news out as I've only ever seen one before and not very well, so I had to be sure. So refreshing myself with the species, I am now confident. It was rather close. It was longer winged, looked larger, no covert band on underwing and had a stronger more veering flight pattern. As, I was getting ready to leave a Great Shearwater went by and topped off an enjoyable afternoon. Also making the notepad was a single Red-legged Partridge on the lane down to the Sewage works and a Cirl Bunting on the feeder.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.