A Week Of Dipping Ducks And A Surprise

16th March - Labrador Bay, Devon 
I popped here first thing. Bad idea as the sum was low and directly shining on the mussel beds. It was so bright I couldnt look through my bins. I was obviously hoping for the Surf Scoter, Velvet Scoter and Long-tailed Duck. But I managed to dip all three species. A nice amount of Cirl Bunting around the car park area and a number of Great Crested Grebe in the parts of the bay I could scan without being blinded.

Cirl Bunting (Male)

Cirl Bunting (Male)

Orcombe point, Exmouth, Devon 

I popped here after work in the hope of a Northern Wheatear. None on site as it was a nice day so they perhaps just carried on through. Bumped into Matt Knott and as always, it was nice to have a quick chin wag. I did catch up with the Black-legged Kittiwake colony though.

17th March- Powderham Marsh, Devon 
I made a flying lunchtime visit to see the Green-winged Teal. It didnt show whilst I was there. Another dipped Duck. I did catch up with the Snow Goose and a couple of Cirl Bunting.

Butts Road, Ottery St Mary, Devon 
I couldnt sleep so I was in the back garden having a cigarette at 02:30 and heard a sistant strange call. I get Tawny Owl here most nights but this was different. After a few moments the call got nearer and I quickly realised it was a Little Owl. I'm going to have to check a few places in the area.

Today - Cadhay Bridge, Ottery St Mary, Devon 
Due to be advised to work from home and will be having the kids at home from Monday. I took a look here after work as I may not be out for a while. On the river were 2 White-throated Dipper, a Common  Kingfisher and Little Egret. No sign of any Common Merganser.

Around the trees in the area were a Great Spotted Woodpecker, Common Chiffchaff and Eurasian Nuthatch.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.