Red Kite And Pink-footed Goose

Roadford Lake, Devon 
I had the afternoon off so I decided to have a look for the Pink-footed Goose. This visit was only my second after a really awful previous trip. It was a few years ago to see a Red Phalarope. It belted down with rain and I got lost and was up to my neck in mud. However, today’s trip was far more enjoyable. As I neared the site a Red kite flew low in front of me just at the A30 turning for the reservoir. I got some advice before going and was advices to park in the lay-by near the bridge. Thanks Rob Murphy for the directions. I walked the short distance to the bridge and looked into the bay area and first noted a Bar-headed Goose that’s a hybrid with something but I am not sure what? Then at the far end was the target Pink-footed Goose that showed rather nicely. I checked the other side of the bridge to find circa 20 Brambling in with a large flock of Common Chaffinch feeding not far from the shoreline

Pink-footed Goose
Pink-footed Goose
Bar-headed Goose (hybrid)
Brambling (Male)
Lower Tamar Lake, Devon / Cornwall 
As I was only 20 minutes or so from this site I felt it rude not to pop in to look for Willow Tit. Surprisingly, this is the first time I have visited the site and I was impressed by the amount of activity on the feeders. I knew I only had 30 minutes here so I staked out these feeders. However, no Willow Tit put in an appearance. I quickly looked at the lake and got my first Barn Swallow of the year hawking over the water. Also on the lake were a couple of Great Crested Grebe. I did have a scan for the Female Ring-necked Duck that hadn’t been reported for a while but I couldn’t pick it out. So it could still be there or moved on. As I returned to the car this nice Male Great Spotted Woodpecker was at the feeders but again no Willow Tit.

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Male)



No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.