Exnouth, Devon
I didn’t get out birding but did walk to my mum in law and then my Sister in laws. There were a fair few birds on the move west mid morning, obviously aware of what was coming our way. The numbers weren’t anywhere near the last snow event but of note were Redwing, Fieldfare and Common Starling.
I put out extra food and had a flock of 15 Eurasian Goldfinch gladly scoffing away. I don’t get too many of them around me so this flock was a welcome sight. I do hope they all make it.
I feel for the migrating species at the moment. Can you imagine travelling hundreds (if not into the thousands) of miles, being absolutely exhausted then having to face this? It will no doubt take its toll. Then there’s the early breeders like Common Blackbird that will also suffer from this. We’ve had no serious snow for around 8 years and then we are blasted with 2 major events a few weeks apart. I just hope the losses aren’t too bad this time.
Birding and other wildlife in East Devon and beyond. As often as I can but not as much as I would like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This Weeks Popular Post
-
5th January 2018 Maer Rocks, Exmouth, Devon A Very brief sea watching session at first light for 30 minutes. 10 Common Scoter, one of whi...
All Time Most Popular Post.
-
Colaton Raleigh Common, Devon I’ve not been able to get out this week as I’ve had a case of man flu (there worse type of flu there is of co...
No comments:
Post a Comment