Sooty Shearwater

Otterton Cliffs, Devon 

I wasn't going to go out today as I had been frantic at work and was feeling like I wanted to be a couch potato. Then, at about 6pm. I had the sudden urge that this evening was going to be good. So I dragged my tired carcas off the sofa and headed to the coastal path near the Sewage works. I used to seawatch Orcombe Point with some degree of success but a few years ago I started here and have found it more productive for Shearwater passage but have struggled with Skua species.

No sooner had I pointed my scope at the sea, I was watching 4 Manx Shearwater passing by. OK, I thought, Worth getting out for. Within 10 minutes I had seen 30 Manx Shearwater. Then out of the gloom, I picked out a Sooty Shearwater. It battled its way west into the strong south westerly winds.  At on point it came in close enough to appreciate it before heading further out into the gloomy bay.  On the sea were 10 Common Scoter and there were a few Northern Fulmar and Northern Gannet lurking about.

After that the Manx Shearwater passage really picked up with birds close in and distant as did the Black-legged Kittiwake of which I totalled 70 birds. At one point, I was tracking some Manx Shearwater and Black-legged Kittiwake, when a Parasitic Jaeger started hassling the latter. It chased one for a few moments before finally settling on the sea. Unfortunately, way too distant for my phone to scope abilities. An unidentified Auk species flew by just after this as did a Common Loon.

I stayed for a further 30 minutes or so and I was so pleased I did. The Manx Shearwater passage continued and I ended on 132 birds. But to top off a great evening, a Pomarine Jaeger popped into my scope as I was scanning. It always remained distant and I soon lost it. 

A very productive visit and goes to show, you should always go with your gut instinct. Well, it worked this time at least!

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.