Common Grasshopper Warbler

Dartmoor, Devon 

I had the day off and as there was a break in this awful weather we have been enduring, I thought I would explore Dartmoor. I had 5 target species in mind, Common Cuckoo, Whinchat, Common Redstart, Garden Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher. 

I parked near Warren House Inn and within 5 minutes had enjoyed views of 2 Common Cuckoo. One of which was point blank. Already pleased, I started the walk to Challacombe farm. On route I was treated to a Male Whinchat, 6 European Stonechat, 4 Willow Warbler and another Common Cuckoo. 2 of my species in the bag. 

At the farm I got straight onto a Garden Warbler in full song. And a moment later a Spotted Flycatcher. 4 species I the bag now, I started to think, this is one of those great days. With that, yet another Common Cuckoo put in an appearance. I saw zero last year so this more than made up for it. Also at the farm was a Female Common Whitethroat, a Grey Wagtail, numerous Barn Swallow and a few Common House Martin.

I struggled a bit with the Common Redstart but after a bit of a search, I finally caught up with a pair. Job done! Or was it? A little bit away from the farm I caught sight of a brown backside dart into the Gorse. I was going to just dismiss it but decided to hang fire and double check what it was. I was pleased I did as I eventually got brief views of a Common Grasshopper Warbler. Result! 

So, all in all a fabulous time and what a joy to see all those species in one area. Also on the walk we're numerous Eurasian Skylark, Meadow Pipit and Common Reed Bunting. 

Common Cuckoo 

Common Redstart (Male)

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.