FINALLY...A Water Rail

Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon 
I decided to give the area another go after last weeks dog incident. It could be luck or perhaps my point was proved as there was no dog splashing around and I had a very productive 30 minutes. I hung around the white bridge and didn’t need to move as there was a lot on offer. A Common Sandpiper was distant south of the bridge, Common Swift, Common House Martin and Barn Swallow were flying over head and hawking over the water. A Male Common Reed Bunting showed and sang nicely and the visit was topped off with a Water Rail (amazingly my first of the year) it was literally just south of the bridge and was busily taking worms back into the reeds. No doubt to feed young. Another reason why I had my dog rant the other day as these are shy creatures at the best of times and disturbance could be devastating.

Water Rail

Water Rail

Water Rail

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.