Water Pipit

Cricket pitch, Budleigh Salterton, Devon
After work, Matt Knott alerted me to a Water Pipit that he had viewed earlier in the day. I happened to be up the road looking for the Italian Sparrow at the time. Having already seen the Sparrow a few times, I thought I would give it a miss and decided to head over and have look for the Pipit.

On arrival there were a number of Eurasian Rock Pipit and White (Pied) Wagtail feeding on the Cricket pitch but I couldn’t locate the Water Pipit. Around 30 Common Linnet and a single European Greenfinch were chattering away in the hedges / trees around me.

I then moved to the scrape in the hope it was feeding there. Again no sign but had nice views of 2 Common Snipe. There were good numbers of Gulls comprising of Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, European Herring Gull and Black-headed Gull. A few Northern Lapwing and a single Eurasian Curlew were busy pottering about. I didn’t see any Common Ringed Plover, which I half expected to see on the scrape. 

After a short while, I decided to locate back to the pitch and on the first scan I picked out the Water Pipit. It was rather distant and I tried to get a picture but (I know my photos aren’t great) none are worthy of posting. Nevertheless a nice bird that I don’t get to see that often. So it was great to have had the opportunity. Thanks to Matt for the info.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.