Mediterranean Gull

A3052 near Crealy, Devon
After my interesting Buzzard on Sunday I decided to have one more look after work but no joy. I guess it will have to go down as a WTF was that bird.

Otter Estuary, Budleigh Salterton, Devon 
I decided to give the Otter a look over to see what Gulls we’re hanging about. On arrival there were 4 Common Ringed Plover resting on the edge of one of the channels. They were accompanied by 2 Dunlin and there were several Common Redshank around. I moved up the footpath, to the first viewing platform and noticed a few Gulls on the river but they were obscured for a lot of the time. In amongst the Black-headed Gulls was a smart adult winter Mediterranean Gull (my first of the year). Try as I might I couldn’t get a photo. The Tawny Owl was roosting in a hole in one of the larger trees to the right hand side of the scrapes. Also on the river was a Little Grebe, some Eurasian Wigeon and Eurasian Teal.

The Gulls looked like they would be viewable from the beach path so I relocated but once I got there they had mostly cleared off. There were however 18 Brant Geese close in and a very brave Eurasian Rock Pipit.

Common Ringed Plover
Eurasian Rock Pipit
Brant Goose
European Herring Gull

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.