Common Loon At Close Quarters,

Elberry CovePaigntonDevon
Me and my mate Pete had planned to do a trip to Slimbridge today but I woke up feeling rather crappy to say the least. I monged out on the sofa for the morning and finally felt ok to pop out. There’s only so much daytime television anyone can take! So I thought “I haven’t seen Red-necked Grebe this year” so I set off to see if the one in Elberry Cove would play ball. The weather conditions were against me as I battled to view into strong winds. There was no sign of the bird but a very friendly European Robin kept me company. It was feeding between my feet and I swear that if I had food on me, it would have feed from my hand. Sadly on the beach was a washed up dead Harbour Porpoise that the Carrion Crow were eyeing up.

Harbour Potpoise 
European Robin  
European Robin 
European Robin 
Brixham HarbourBrixhamDevon
As the wind was fierce and the sea very choppy. I decided the harbour would be a good place for things to use as a shelter. I wasn’t wrong as no sooner as I had arrived, I got on to an outrageously close Common Loon. The bird showed amazingly all the time I was there. It fed, cleaned itself and even had a nap. The Ruddy Turnstone were as friendly as ever. Also in the harbour near the breakwater was a Grey Seal.

Common Loon
Common Loon
Common Loon
Ruddy Turnstone
Grey Seal
Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon
Matt Knott has informed me of a Short-eared Owl on Orcombe this morning so I headed off in hope. This is another species I seem to unable to connect with this year and today’s jaunt didn’t put that right.

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.