Garganey

Undisclosed site near Lower Durlston, Somerset 

I had the day off today (well earned after an 11 hour shift yesterday). I have been longing to get to the levels so off I popped. I headed for Ham Wall but topped off at a place I know is good for Common Nightingale. After a bit of hanging around, it was obvious I wasn't going to get lucky today. 

Ham Wall, Somerset 

I walked up to the first viewing platform and was treated to Eurasian Reed Warbler, Eurasian Blackcap and Cetti's Warbler on the way. On arrival I was informed of a Male Garganey. The bird was sleeping but I enjoyed the views. 3 Western Marsh Harrier put in an appearance soon after arriving as did 3 Great Egret. I short wait produced a lovely flyby Eurasian Bittern. An equally nice flyby Eurasian Hobby and as I was leaving a Common Whitethroat popped up and treated me to a song. A few Orangetip Butterfly was also pottering about. 

Shapwick Heath, Somerset 

I took a walk up to Noahs lake and on the way up, bumped into a local that advised there were 3 Little Gull on the lake. You cant yet get into the hide but I did manage to see the 3 via various gaps. Also on site were, 1 Western Marsh Harrier and 3 Great Egret. On the Butterfly front there were a few Common Brimstone and a single Peacock. 

Garganey (Male)

Great Egret

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.