My First Patch Cetti's Warbler

St Saviours Bridge, Ottery St Mary, Devon 

I haven't managed to get out since Sunday due to a terrible bad back. Its still rough but a gentle walk seemed to help today. Enough of me. I started off by parking at Handsford Way and walked by the scrubland at Finnimores industrial estate. Good to see a healthy population of House Sparrow. What surprised me most though was the unmistakable call of a Yellowhammer. I couldn't locate the bird and despite me waiting for 10 minutes it didn't call again. What an usual place to come across one though. Also on the farm opposite, in the tree line that boarders the main B road (Barrack Road) was a Male Eurasian Blackcap singing his heart out.

I crossed St Saviours Bridge and headed south on the east side of the river Otter. Lots of Song Thrush in the area but not much else of note. On the path from the open grass area to the farmland things got more interesting. 3 Eurasian Bullfinch showed beautifully (1 Male and 2 Females). 3 more Male Eurasian Blackcap in full song plus 2 Females. Best of all though was that call that often makes me jump when heard at close range, the Cetti's Warbler. What a loud call that is. After a little wait, the bird showed beautifully at close quarters. Oddly enough, this is my first record of this species on patch. 


No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.