Lesser Emperor

Lower Bruckland Ponds, Devon 

I had the day off today as needed an eye test mid morning (ouch, expensive). Afterwards, I decided to visit this long overdue site. All my time in Devon, I've never been here. Wow! what a site I've been missing. The place was alive with Dragonfly and Damselfly.  This was the reason I popped here as there has been a Lesser Emperor hanging about. It took me a while to track it down as there are large numbers Dragonfly to look through but I eventually had decent flight views around the 3rd pond. A lifer Dragonfly for me so I was extremely pleased. I didn't manage a photo though as it wouldn't stay still and kept moving on to the 4th pond and back. 

Other species on site were, Emperor Dragonfly, Four-spotted Chaser, Scarce Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer, Common Darter, Southern Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Common Blue Damselfly, Small Red-eyed Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly, Azure Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly and Beautiful Demoiselle. 

I was so engrossed by the Dragonflies that I kept forgetting to look out for anything else. Bird wise seemed rather quite but Butterfly species I did manage to log were, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Large Skipper, Small Skipper, Large White and Small White.

Small Skipper 

Common Blue Damselfly 

Golden-ringed Dragonfly 

Emperor Dragonfly (Female)

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.