Not Quite 2,500 But Still A Great

Berry Head, Brixham, Devon
Me and my mate were planning on going to Porthgwarra today but my daughter was ill this morning. She went to school but I didn’t want to venture 2 and half hours away in case the school called to say “come and get her”. So we opted for a closer venue and Berry Head seemed the best option. As it happens the call never came so I was most aggrieved to see a report of 1,500 Great Shearwater at Porthgwarra. That’s a spectacle you don’t get to witness that often. I’ve since seen that the total was over 2,500 plus a possible Band-runped Storm Petrel. Now that’s a total slap across the chops!

I'm trying to be positive though as I did managed a single Great Shearwater at Berry Head, so all was not lost. The time spent on site was rather productive. Around 10 Great Skua and 8 Parasitic Jaeger on offer, with some very close in sightings. 2 Red Phalarope popped up a few times but the views were very brief. Balearic Shearwater numbers were in the region of 50 birds whilst we were on site and there was a single Manx Shearwater. Theres was 1 possible Sooty Shearwater. A distant bird that was rather long winged to be a Balearic Shearwater but I just couldn’t clinch it 100% and the view was ever so short. I still haven’t seen a European Storm Petrel this year and typically one was seen after I left.

One of the Parasitic Jaeger’s to me looked like a potential Pomarine Jaeger. See the second photo. What made me thnk with this bird was the fact that the breast band went all around, where as it should stop on a Parasitic. Not a complete clincher though as this can be misleading on both species but I also felt tha the birds flight was more relaxed, steady and strong.I guess that the jury will stay out on this one.

Also an unidentifiable small Skua. Size pointed to Long-tailed Jaeger but again, far too distant to clinch a positive ID.

Orcombe Point, Exmouth, Devon 
Later in the afternoon I had a very quick look from the raised beach huts. Not a great deal on offer except circa 25 Common Scoter.

Great Skua  

Parasitic Jaeger or Pomarine Jaeger?

Parasitic Jaeger 

Balearic Shearwater  

Great Skua  

Great Skua

Great Skua

No comments:

This Weeks Popular Post

All Time Most Popular Post.